Living in the Residence Halls

This section provides information on what students should be aware of and take into consideration before applying to live in the residence halls, including:

Freshman Live-On Requirement

First-year freshman students, regardless of transfer credit status, are required to live on campus in the residence halls and carry a dining plan for their first two semesters (not including summer session). This includes single students that are regularly enrolled in CU classes that have not attended another college or university. This also includes international students that are in their first year of college that have been accepted to and are enrolled at CU-Boulder.

Students that are younger than 16 years of age or older than 24 years of age should contact Occupancy Management prior to submitting an application.

Freshman Live-On Exemptions

First year students that fit the following qualifications may petition for an exemption to the live-on requirement by contacting Occupancy Management:

  • Freshmen that are 21 years of age or older
  • Freshmen that are married
  • Freshman living with parents or legal guardians and want to commute from home 

Housing and Dining Disability Accommodations

The University of Colorado Boulder provides reasonable housing and dining accommodations to residents with disabilities (students, employees and family members of employees). The ADA defines a disability as a phy​sical or mental impairment that substantially limits a person in one or more major life activities.  Major life activities are things like walking, talking, sleeping, hearing, seeing, eating, drinking, and other tasks essential to day-to-day living. Housing accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis, founded on documented need.

Residents can request housing and dining accommodations by going to the Housing and Dining website and selecting ‘apply for housing’ at the top right of the webpage. They will enter in their Identikey and password to sign into their My CU Living page and will select the “Disability Accommodation Request” at the top of the page. When requesting accommodations, the resident will be asked to select from the category below that best describes the accommodation for which they are seeking additional information:

Room/apartment modifications
Room/apartment reassignment
Dietary limitations – including anaphylaxis food allergies
Visual/hearing impairments (e.g. flashing fire alarm, light up door bell, etc.)
Assistance/emotional support animal

After submitting a request for accommodation, the resident will receive additional instructions and the “Request for Housing Accommodation Form” via email. This form includes a section to be completed by the resident and a section to be completed by a licensed medical professional. Medical documentation must be submitted to the committee on the forms provided; it is recommended that the resident wait to make an appointment or request documentation from a medical provider until they have received the “Request for Housing Accommodation Form.” 

While we understand residents may have food preferences and intolerances, please be aware that these conditions within themselves do not qualify as disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will not result in being removed from the meal plan as an ADA accommodation. However, we are able to accommodate a wide variety of needs using our A9 Identified Allergen Project. Residents whose preferences or intolerances do not qualify as a disability may meet with Campus Dining Services to discuss their dietary needs. To arrange a meeting with our registered dietician, please email Residents who do have dietary restrictions which meet the definition of an ADA qualifying disability, including anaphylaxis food allergies, may want to consider requesting accommodations in their housing portal as described above.

For academic related accommodations, please visit Disability Services. For questions pertaining to service animals, please visit the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance website. If you have additional questions regarding housing and dining accommodations, please contact Occupancy Management at 303-492-6673 or contact us by email at

What to Consider Living in the Residence Halls

There are a number of things to consider before you begin the residence hall application process including neighborhoods, student communities, contract types, room types, meal plans and roommate selection. The more research and planning you do, the easier the application will be.

Residential Experiences

Residential experiences exist in nearly all halls, and we offer four different options; residential academic programs (RAPs), first-year interest groups (FIGs)living and learning communities (LLCs) and traditional communities. RAPs are communities in which students and faculty live in the same hall, attend smaller classes in-hall and engage in activities that reinforce the academic theme. FIGs are small communities of 25 students with similar academic interests who live together in the same residence hall and work closely with a FIG faculty director. FIG students take three courses together during the first semester on campus. LLCs are communities in which students live in the same hall and engage in activities that reinforce a particular academic or special-interest theme. Traditional communities house students of diverse academic and social interests living in the same hall and engaging in a traditional residence hall experience.


There are three different housing contracts to choose from, but they are dependent on your choice of residential program and/or hall.

  • Academic Year: contract provides access to your room from August to May with the exception of winter break (mid-December to early January) and to dining services from August to May with the exception of fall break (the week of Thanksgiving), winter break (mid-December to early January) and spring break (one week in March). All halls allow this contract.
  • Academic Year Plus Breaks: contract provides access to your room and dining services from August to May including fall break, winter break and spring break. Willard Hall (freshmen) and Reed Hall  allow this contract
  • Year-Round: contract provides access to your room and dining services from August to August. Willard Hall and Reed Hall allow this contract.

*Dining centers have separate closures due to holidays. See additional information here.

Room Types/Rates

We offer one, two, three. four and five person rooms as well as apartment-style rooms with kitchens. Semi-private, private and community bathroom options are also available. Below are the approximate room and board rates for academic year 2016-17.
To get a better understanding of what the rooms look like, you can view some 3-D images on the residence hall room floorplans page.

Room & Board Rates*  Cost
Roommate(s) and community bath $6,795
Individual space and community bath $7,505
Roommate(s) and attached bath $7,505
Individual space and attached bath $7,718
Roommate(s) and apartment $7,852

* New rates posted are for 2016-17 consideration. For current rates, please contact Occupancy Management at 303-492-6673 (press 1) or Additionally, rates will increase 3-5% each year. Fees are per person, per semester.

Below shows what room types are available in each hall.

Meal Plans

The meal plan is also part of the decision-making process when filling out the housing application. Freshmen are required to carry either a 15- or 19-meals per week plus Munch Money plan. Non-freshman have additional options including Block Meal Plans and Campus Cash. You can find all the details in the meal plan section.


There are three methods for assigning roommates:

  • Students whose completed application is received by March 15 may request a specific roommate. If the request is mutual and both applications are completed by March 15, students are assigned together in an eligible room. 
  • The roommate selection process is optional and will be part of the application process. In the spring, you will be sent an email with a timeline and directions on how to complete the process.
  • If you choose not to be part of the selection process, or if your application is received after May 1, you will be assigned a roommate based on common interests, lifestyle, etc.


If you have any questions regarding housing that you haven’t found answers to in the website, please contact us via email or phone (303-492-6673).

Application Process

The application to live in the residence halls is very similar whether you are a freshman, transfer or returning Buff. Review the process you need to follow here.

Room Change Requests

Students may request a room change both before and after move-in.

Timelines - Please refer to the application timeline

Room Change Details 

  • Room change requests are processed before move-in for eligible students (those with official hall/RAP assignments) only during certain times
  • Students may request two hall/RAP eligible preferences and two room style preferences. We recommend putting two different room types that are affordable. You will have up to two preference options, but are not required to submit two
  • You will not be contacted prior to a move. Once you submit a request, you will either stay in your current assignment, or if you are selected for a room change, you will be assigned to a new space based on the information in your request
  • Room changes will not include roommates. If you are assigned a new multi-person room, you will also be assigned new roommates
  • If you submit during the April process and don't receive a change, you may resubmit during July
  • As many requests as possible are accommodated, however, participation in the room change process does not guarantee a room change
  • After move-in, students may request a room change through the waitlist process 


© The Regents of the University of Colorado