Residence Hall Handbook

alcohol * bicycles * cleaning my room * decorating * drugs * elevators * exclusion * fire safety * forgery * furniture * gambling * ID upon request * lofts * marijuana * motorized vehicles * noise * personal injury * pets * registered sex offender procedure * roommate agreement * safety/security * skateboarding * smoking * solicitation * sports in the hallway * vandalism * visitation/guests * weapons/firearms * windows/screens/roof * university code of conduct

Complete 2016-17 Residence Hall Policies, Regulations, and Standards of Conduct

Complete Student Conduct Code 2015-16


What is the policy for use and consumption of alcohol if I am under 21? If I am 21 or older?

The use of alcohol by underage students and the abuse of alcohol is not permitted in the residence halls. The use of alcohol is counterproductive to the academic mission of the residence halls and the university. There are many negative effects of alcohol and illegal drug use on individuals, and on the community in the residence halls.
Residence hall communities are designed to promote and foster the personal growth and development of individuals and are supportive of the residents’ academic endeavors. Residence halls are not sanctuaries from state and local laws or from university standards and regulations. Staff will confront any resident who is identified as being in violation of the law or policies regarding misuse of alcohol. The responsibility to obey state laws, local laws, and university rules rests with each student. Students are held accountable for their behavior as it relates to alcohol.
Back to the top 


Can I bring my bike to campus?

Bicycles may be parked in bike racks adjacent to the halls or may be kept in the resident’s room. Be advised to use a U-lock when parking bikes outside. It is a fire code violation to store bikes in public areas of the residence hall. Bikes may not be parked in stairways, in front of doorways (inside or out), on rails (inside or out), in laundry areas, lounges, or other common areas. Bikes parked in prohibited areas will be impounded by the university police. No one may ride a bike inside any buildings. University policy requires bicycles to be registered with the CU Bicycle Program. To register your bike, follow the directions outlined here.

Back to the top 


Cleaning of My Room

Residents are expected to maintain assigned living areas in a clean and orderly condition. Keep trash to a minimum and dispose of it as prescribed by the hall. Residents are not permitted to keep empty cans, bottles, etc., in their rooms as they attract insects. Recycle as much as possible. In a unit that has its own bathroom and/or kitchen, the resident is responsible for cleaning these rooms also. Cleaning equipment and supplies are available from the environmental services staff, or at your hall front desk. Environmental services staff clean only the public and common areas of a hall.

Back to the top 


Decorating Your Room

How can I make my space like “home?”

Alterations to any residence hall property and/or the semi-permanent installation of residents’ personal property are prohibited. This includes nailing fixtures to walls, floors, ceilings, or furniture; drilling holes; or affixing decals. Tampering with or altering electrical or telephone wiring is prohibited. Any damage caused by decorating efforts makes rooms less desirable to the next resident. Residents are charged for repairs and will place their Housing & Dining Services Contract in jeopardy.

Combustible decorative materials including wood, textile, and synthetics must be flame-resistant or fire-retardant treated if used in housing buildings. (The resident should retain Proof of Treatment on labels and/or packages.) Flame/fire-retardant treatments shall be renewed as often as necessary to maintain the materials’ flame-resistance. Substances unlikely to be flameproof include natural leaves, cornstalks, hay, cotton batting, evergreen or cedar branches, angel hair, or other similar materials. These substances are therefore not allowed in the residence halls for decorations. The use of holiday cards or wrapping paper to decorate corridor walls and doors is prohibited.

Decorative materials or displays must not obstruct doorways, corridors, stairways, or other passageways, and must not obscure exit signs or obstruct access to fire protection equipment or building service equipment. No tunnels or other such passageways may be constructed to serve as a means of entering or exiting a room, apartment, hallway, or building.  

If holiday lights are used they must be miniature lights (less heat) and must be UL listed for the intended use. All items must be 18 inches or more from sprinklers. Do not hang any decorations on sprinkler pipes.

No natural trees, decorative boughs, or wreaths are allowed in student rooms or commons areas of the halls. All trees, boughs, and wreaths must be artificial with an approved flame-retardant label. Trees and other combustible decorations are not to be placed in corridors, lobbies, stairwells, or in front of exits.

University staff reserve the right to ask students to remove any decorations from walls, doors, windows, floors, etc.. Failure to comply with such a request will be considered a violation of the code of conduct. Students are urged to be cautious about covering their room walls and doors with paper materials. Total wall/door coverage can be a vandalism/fire hazard.

Back to the top 


Door Decorations

How can I decorate my door?

Residents sometimes affix material to the outside of their room doors. To use the door in this manner, follow these guidelines:

  1. Avoid material that a reasonable person might find offensive
  2. Don’t post material that “attacks,” demeans, or otherwise exploits an individual or a group of individuals
  3. Do not permanently affix material to the door
  4. Do not use non-recyclable materials

University staff reserve the right to ask students to remove any decorations from walls, doors, windows, floors, etc. Failure to comply with such a request will be considered a violation of the Code of Conduct. Students are urged to be cautious about covering their room walls and doors with paper materials. Total wall/door coverage can be a vandalism/fire hazard.

Back to the top 



What is the policy on illegal drugs?

The possession, use, sale, manufacturing, or distribution of illegal drugs in the residence halls, including marijuana and drug paraphernalia (pipes, hookahs, bongs, water pipes, etc.), is not permitted and violates federal law. Residents who involve themselves in the use or possession of illegal drugs are subject to conduct sanctions and may be subject to legal action. Misuse of prescription drugs is also a violation of the law and policy. You must have your prescription in a container dispensed by medical staff which includes your identifying information.

Removing drugs/paraphernalia: Staff responding to drug incidents will call the University of Colorado Police Department to retain drugs and paraphernalia. Police might issue a ticket to a student who possesses drug paraphernalia. Arrest could result depending on situation.

Misusing Legal Substances
There are many dangers with the use of general products as intoxicants or “means to get high.” Various substances, although legal, can have dangerous negative impact on an individual and hall community including in regards to health and academic success. Inhaling or ingesting a substance (including but not limited to nitrous oxide, glue, paint, gasoline, solvent, etc.) other than in connection with its intended purpose is a violation of university policy and is prohibited.

Back to the top 



Who can use elevators?

Many elevators in our residence halls are freight elevators and are not to be used for daily able bodied students. Ask your RA if you have special needs. Some of our buildings do have active elevators. Signs will indicate whether the elevator is or is not permitted for daily use.

Tampering with elevators (e.g., removing button plates, pulling doors open and shut, misusing elevator keys, tampering with the wiring, jumping up and down in the elevator, or climbing onto the roof of the elevator) is extremely dangerous and can cause injury, death, and expensive repairs. Such tampering will result in severe disciplinary action, including termination of your Housing & Dining Services Contract. 

Back to the top 



What if my sanction results in exclusion?

Housing & Dining Services, the Office of Student Conduct, and the University of Colorado Police Department (UCPD) reserve the right to exclude (prohibit entry to a specific area or hall) those persons whose behavior is determined to be detrimental to the well-being of the residence hall community or incompatible with its function as part of an educational institution. Exclusions will normally be for a specified period of time, after which they are eligible for review. Failure to comply with the terms of exclusion may result in disciplinary action and/or arrest.

Back to the top 


Fire Safety

What type of monitoring is present in our residence halls?

The fire alarm system and firefighting equipment in the residence halls are for everyone’s protection. Tampering with firefighting equipment or setting off a false alarm (general or local) not only makes the system ineffectual, but also endangers the lives of residents. Thus, tampering with, removal of, or misuse of fire extinguishers, fire alarms, smoke detectors (including batteries), fire evacuation route instructions, sprinklers, other firefighting equipment, or exit signs is prohibited by both residence hall policy and state law. Although it may seem harmless to store items and/or perform exercises (pull-ups) on sprinkler pipes, be aware that the pipes can be pulled out of the ceiling and cause significant damage. To prevent water damage to your room, your electrical equipment, and your belongings, hanging from, or hanging items from, sprinkler pipes is prohibited.


In addition to disciplinary action, there is a charge for removing or damaging individual room smoke detectors or removing or damaging evacuation instructions. Residents are subject to prosecution and severe disciplinary action if they violate this policy. Residents involved in serious fire safety violations, including setting off false fire alarms (the general or main fire alarm or any plastic cover local alarm), may be suspended from the university.

A. Fire Hazards/Decorating of rooms/Storing of personal items in rooms
It is each resident’s responsibility not to have furnishings or equipment in her/his room that creates fire and safety hazards. Such items as candles (even if meant for display only and even if the wick has been removed), incense, bongs, hookahs, and non-fire-retardant material used to decorate are strictly prohibited. No items may be hung on the ceiling or in doorways, including fabric, banners, tapestries, posters, or flags. Fabric, tapestries, flags, or banners with the longest side exceeding three feet (36 inches) in length are prohibited on walls. Any fabric or banner less than three feet in length must be flame-resistant or fire-retardant treated if used in housing buildings. (The resident should retain Proof of Treatment on labels and/or packages.) Flame-/fire-retardant treatments must be renewed as often as necessary to maintain the materials’ flame resistance. No more than one banner, flag, or tapestry may be hung on any wall and there may not be any more than two per room. Residence hall draperies are all flame resistant and are not to be replaced by resident-owned draperies. Because of fire safety concerns, halogen lamps, lava lamps and hoverboards are not permitted in residence halls. Bean bag chairs/furniture and space heaters are not permitted within the halls. Love Sac® chairs are permitted, but the appropriate Proof of Treatment labels must be retained by the student. Meetings will be held early during the semester to familiarize you with fire prevention measures and procedures for evacuation.


University staff reserves the right to ask students to remove any decorations from walls, doors, windows, floors, etc. Failure to do comply with such a request will be considered a violation of the policy. Students are urged to be cautious about covering their room walls and doors with paper materials. Total wall/door coverage can be a vandalism/fire hazard.

B. Cooking—Can I cook in my room?

Cooking is not allowed in rooms, on balconies, in other areas of the hall, or on adjacent grounds except for nominal activity with a microwave or where the hall has properly equipped kitchenettes. The use of barbecues and hibachis is prohibited in all areas in and around residence halls except at officially sponsored activities. If the number of approved appliances in use causes electrical overloads, additional restrictions will be imposed. Toasters, ovens, hot plates, grills, including George Forman® and other electric grills, are not permitted within the residence halls.

In the residence halls, care must be taken with the number of electrical appliances plugged into any one outlet. Do not plug in more than two appliances in any outlet and eliminate or limit the use of extension cords. Acceptable electrical appliances include televisions, DVD players/VCRs, stereos, video game devices, personal computers, coffee makers (with automatic shut-off), clocks, irons (with automatic shut-off), blankets, shavers, blow dryers, and electric curlers.

In certain halls, electrical circuit limitations may limit the use of electrical appliances. All appliances must be UL-approved and operated, and maintained in full compliance with safety and sanitary standards. Appliances not allowed include portable heaters, cooking appliances, any appliance with open heating coils, toasters, toaster ovens, sun lamps, broadcasting equipment, outside antennas or satellite dishes, air conditioners, and other appliances that require more than a nominal amount of electricity. The university is very conscious of the need to conserve energy and requests that residents limit the use of as many electrical appliances as possible.

C. Fireworks/Firecrackers

Boulder fire prevention ordinances and residence hall policy prohibit the manufacture, sale, use, and possession of all fireworks, including sparklers, anywhere within the city limits, including around or in all residence halls.

D. Flammables

Because of the obvious fire hazard, highly flammable materials such as chemicals, gasoline, camping stove fuel, and charcoal starter are prohibited in the residence halls. Activities such as making candles or waxing skis are not permitted in residence hall rooms or areas in the halls other than those designated. Do not keep large quantities of papers, rags, or other trash in any room. Place recyclable materials (newspaper, computer paper, and notebook paper) in the containers located near the hall loading dock. Maintaining an open flame (i.e., burning candles, incense, lanterns, etc.) in your room is prohibited, as are natural Christmas trees. Candles, even if meant for display only, and tapestries will be temporarily confiscated and will be returned at the discretion of the hall director. Hookahs and bongs present a fire hazard, are considered drug paraphernalia, and are expressly prohibited within the residence halls.

E. Fire Drills

Fire drills (announced and unannounced) are held periodically during the academic year. All persons inside the residence hall must evacuate the building immediately. Each resident’s cooperation is vital in helping protect all the residents of the hall. Students failing to leave the building during a fire drill are subject to disciplinary action. Refusing to evacuate will result in severe disciplinary action. Emergency procedures are provided to hall staff; it is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with the procedures

Back to the top 


What if I borrow my friend’s ID to get into the dining hall? Share my research paper?

It is against the law and university policy to forge, alter, or falsify any documents, records, parking permits, or instruments of identification. Using a forged or altered document, record, parking permit, or instrument of identification is also prohibited, even if another person made the change.

Back to the top 



I just don’t like the curtains - can I cover or remove them? What about the desk chair?

All residence hall rooms are fully furnished. This furniture may not be stored to make room for the resident’s own furniture, and may not be moved from room to room. Residents must keep furniture in their rooms. For safety reasons, furniture placed outside a residence hall room will be removed by Housing Facilities Services. Furniture that has been removed is considered abandoned. Residents are charged for furniture missing from their room at checkout. If it can be accommodated space-wise, items belonging to the resident (overstuffed chairs, bookcases, etc.) may be placed in the room, provided they do not create a hazard or safety problem. When checking out, residents are responsible for removing all of their own belongings. It is the resident’s responsibility to ensure all residence hall room furniture is present and accounted for; the resident is charged if any original residence hall furniture is missing. It is against housing policy to move furniture from common areas and place it in a resident’s room. Removal of furniture from common areas may result in a student being written up, and a minimum sanction of probation may be imposed.

Waterbeds and hot tubs are not permitted in the residence halls because building designs do not include provisions for drainage or for the weight load on floors. In addition, there is the possibility of considerable damage to both personal and university property should a leak develop.

Back to the top 



Gambling is prohibited. (Exception: Games of sport and social pastimes that are not for profit, do not affect the public, and do not breach the peace are not prohibited.)  

In order to protect the safety and welfare of residents and the residence hall, any resident or residence hall staff member (e.g., hall director, RA, night security, community assistant) may require anyone in the residence halls, at any time, to present an official university identification card and/or other form of ID. Carry a picture ID at all times. It is a violation of housing policy to lend or trade IDs. 

Back to the top 


Identification Upon Request

In order to protect the safety and welfare of residents and the residence hall, any resident or residence hall staff member (e.g., hall director, RA, night security, community assistant) may require anyone in the residence halls, at any time, to present an official university identification card and/or other form of ID. Carry a picture ID at all times. It is a violation of housing policy to lend, or trade IDs.

Back to the top 


Loft Policy

Can I have a loft to increase the space in my room?

Please see the housing website regarding lofts

Back to the top 


Medical Marijuana

Can I use medical marijuana? Not on university property including residence halls, fields, academic buildings etc.

If the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) issues a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card to a student, Colorado law allows that student to possess a limited amount of marijuana for medicinal purposes. However, possession of a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card does not authorize a student to possess, use, or distribute marijuana in any university residence hall or dining facility, or in any public area of the university.

Students who receive a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card prior to residing in a university residence hall may submit a request to the executive director of Housing & Dining Services or designee to be released from any Housing & Dining Services Contract executed by the student or, if applicable, to be released from the freshman residency policy.

If a student obtains a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card while residing in a university residence hall, he/she may submit a request to the executive director of Housing & Dining Services or designee to be released from the Housing & Dining Services Contract. Students with a documented need for medical marijuana will be released from a Housing & Dining Services Contract without financial penalty.

Sanctioning of alcohol and drug violations may be more severe if the incident includes the following aggravating factor(s): public intoxication, provision of alcohol/drugs to minors, driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol/drugs, damage to property, obstruction of a peace officer, or failure to cooperate with a university official. Sanctioning may also be more severe if it is accompanied by other violations of the Student Conduct Policies and Procedures.

Back to the top 


Motorized Vehicles

Can I bring my moped?

Motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, etc. are to be parked in reserved areas in accordance with university regulations. They may not be taken into, or stored in, any building. If found inside, they will be removed and impounded at the owner’s expense. Driving on sidewalks, bike paths, service drives, fields, and grounds is prohibited

Back to the top 



How quiet do I need to be?

When living in a residence hall community, students must be aware of their noise level and demonstrate respect for those around them. Community members are encouraged to ask others to be considerate and adjust their noise levels at any time. It is expected that residents will comply with any reasonable requests made of them. Noncompliance with such a request will result in a failure to fulfill one’s responsibilities to the community, and the situation may require intervention by housing staff. Because noise is one of the most common complaints, and in order to have a successful year both academically and socially, consideration must be shown for others at all times. 

Housing staff recognizes that noise is difficult to assess and a certain amount of subjectivity is almost certain to exist. Staff members, however, are charged with making these assessments and making serious efforts to contain noise to levels acceptable for a productive university living and learning environment. 

Quiet Hours Policy:

Sunday through Thursday, quiet hours begin at 10:00 p.m. and end at 8:00 a.m. the following morning. Friday and Saturday, they begin at midnight and continue until 8:00 a.m. the following morning. Although many violations of the noise policy are unintentional, it is never appropriate to leave a room with the stereo or radio on. Avoid holding phone conversations in hallways. Alarm clocks and stereos must be turned off when a resident is leaving for the weekend or vacation. Stereo speakers may not be placed in windows with the speakers directed outward. It is recommended that residents who enjoy loud music invest in headphones. In addition, any musical instrument or amplified sound that is a violation of the quiet or courtesy hours policy is not permitted. Any device that is a source of noise that violates the noise policy may be temporarily confiscated by staff. 

Every university community member, including staff, has the right to sleep, study, or work in their room without undue interference. Noise that can be heard from outside a resident room, via the hallway or the windows of the room, and that interferes with, or has the potential to interfere with these rights, is prohibited. In addition, this noise policy applies to all residence hall facilities, including rooms, hallways, classrooms, common areas, and the grounds and courtyards immediately surrounding the building. Housing & Dining Services strongly encourages residents who are having an issue with noise to take the responsibility for confronting the situation and let the offender know their noise is creating a disturbance. Courtesy hours are in effect at all other times.


Courtesy Hours Policy

Sunday through Thursday, courtesy hours begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 10:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, they begin at 8:00 a.m. and continue until midnight.
Excessive noise that can be heard from outside a resident room that interferes with, or has the potential to interfere with, any community member’s right to sleep, study, or work in their living environment is prohibited. Residents must comply with all requests to reduce their noise level. The noise policy is enforced throughout the year, and violators are subject to judicial action, which may result in termination of the housing contract. 

Final Exam Policy

During the final exam period at the end of each semester, a 24-hour quiet hours policy goes into effect. It begins on the evening before the last day of classes at 8:00 p.m. and continues through the end of finals, at which time the standard quiet hours policy becomes effective and lasts through closing. This policy is strictly enforced and noise violations during finals result in more severe judicial action. A violation of the 24 hour quiet hours may include a minimum sanction of probation.

At the beginning of the academic year, each hall council will have the opportunity to conduct a hall-wide vote to change or confirm the start time or end time of the quiet hours for that hall. Each person in the hall will be encouraged to vote to determine what the quiet hours will continue to be for the rest of the academic year. Seventy-five percent of the hall population must vote and at least seventy-five percent of those voting must vote for the same option for the quiet hours to be changed. If you are interested in getting involved in helping “get out the vote” for quiet hours, please see your residence hall director or hall council president.


Hall Closing

It is important that the academic environment be maintained until the end of finals. Any behavior that disrupts this environment is dealt with immediately. In addition, it is important to note that residents are required to check out of their building 24 hours after their last final, or no later than the check-out time on closing day, whichever comes first.

During finals weeks and the 24-hour quiet hours, there are no overnight guests are allowed.

Back to the top 


Personal Injury and Illness

 If I get sick or injured, what happens?

Housing & Dining Services reserves the right to request medical assistance (including an ambulance) on a resident’s behalf, should it be necessary. It is the department’s policy not to transport injured or sick individuals. Medical care providers are instructed to bill the cost of their services to the resident. Also, the university does not assume responsibility or liability for payment of medical bills that may be a result of accidental injury or illness while residents reside in the halls. Students are encouraged to go to Student Health Center or call 911 for a medical emergency.

Back to the top 



Can I bring my dog or cat to my residence hall? What about Bubbles, my fish?

With the exception of service or assistance animals, no pets or animals may be brought into the residence halls. This policy is due to the design of residence halls and problems (noise, odors, sanitation, inhumane treatment, allergies, etc.) inherent in keeping pets in or around the halls. Exception: Small aquatic life (fish and small turtles) that live in water is permitted in an aquarium not to exceed 10 gallons in volume. Amphibious creatures and reptiles (including lizards and snakes) are not allowed. Fish that are dangerous or harmful to humans, or creatures prohibited by state or federal law, are not allowed. In order to have an aquarium, residents must have their roommate’s approval and accept full responsibility for care, cleanliness, and any ill effects that could result. 

Live-in faculty and professional staff may be granted permission to have a dog or cat live in their own apartment secluded from the residential student living areas.

Back to the top 

Registered Sex Offenders Procedure

In accordance with Colorado State law (CRS 18-3-412.5, Sex offenders – duty to register), sex offenders are required to register with the University of Colorado Police Department immediately upon arrival to the campus. UCPD will notify Housing & Dining Services administration when a registered sex offender appears to have been assigned to university housing. At that time and to ensure the safety and overall social health of the CU-Boulder living community, Housing & Dining Services staff will review with key university administrator and campus legal counsel on the student’s ability to live or not live in university housing. Those who should be consulted will include: director of residence life or executive director of Housing & Dining Services, University of Colorado Police Department, dean of students, director of the Office of Student Conduct and University Council.

Back to the top 


Roommate Agreement

Each resident agrees to conduct him or herself in a manner that is conducive for fellow residents to study, live, and sleep. Each resident agrees to demonstrate reasonable efforts to resolve roommate and/or residence hall problems. Residents are expected to report uncivil treatment of others, vandalism, and other violations of their living contract. Student will work with mediation led by staff if needing further assistance with roommate concerns. At the beginning of the academic year, all residents will complete a roommate agreement using OnCampus.

Back to the top 


Safety and Security

How do I gain access to my residence hall?

All reasonable steps are taken by Housing & Dining Services to provide a safe and secure living environment. However, the development of a safe and secure environment depends upon the degree to which students accept responsibility for their own behavior and recognize a concern for the safety and welfare of others. If a student observes something that appears unsafe, they have a responsibility to report it to the hall office.


Access to Halls – Outside Doors

For everyone’s safety, all doors leading into living areas are locked 24 hours a day. Residents always have access to their respective halls.

Friends and guests may enter the unlocked lobby areas and contact residents to meet them. Individuals unknown by the community should not be admitted; refer strangers to the hall office for assistance. All guests must call a resident to gain access to the building and must be escorted by the host resident at all times. At check-in, residents receive a detailed plan regarding locking procedures for the hall. Do not prop open outside doors, and report malfunctioning doors to the hall office. The safety and security of the residence halls are each resident’s responsibility. 

Back to the top 


Skateboarding and Skating

I love my skateboard…can I bring it?

Certain halls or complexes prohibit skateboard/skate use in certain areas near buildings (stairways, high traffic areas). Individual halls designate these areas and notify residents. Skateboarding/skating in prohibited areas may result in disciplinary action. Skateboarding and skating are not allowed inside any residence hall. 

Back to the top 



Can I smoke in my hall?

The University of Colorado Boulder has a no smoking policy. This policy prohibits the smoking of any substance, including but not limited to, tobacco, cloves, and marijuana. Smoking products are also prohibited, including cigars, pipes, hookahs, and vaporizers (electronic cigarettes).

Back to the top 


Solicitation/Running a Business

Can I run my cleaning business in the hall? Sell cosmetics?

The University of Colorado Boulder and its residence halls are not marketplaces, and may not be used for commercial, personal, or private financial gain. The purpose of the following policy is to provide a means for companies to advertise opportunities without violating the rights, privileges, and responsibilities duly afforded residence hall students. In addition, this policy provides guidelines for groups wishing to distribute information to residence hall students, or to recruit student participation in their organizations. For groups wishing to distribute their products or information in the residence halls, material should be submitted to the authorizing authority for consideration, approval, and distribution of information.

Back to the top 


Sports/Games in the Hallway

I love sports! Can we shoot hoops in the hall?

Any physical sporting activity (ball sport, water balloon toss, running game) is not permitted in the halls due to damage of property and disturbance to other residents. Paint pellet guns, starter pistols, Nerf® guns, water pistols/squirt guns, blow dart guns, and sling shots are also banned from the residence halls. Sports intended for outdoor play should be directed toward designated areas on campus (CU recreational areas, green space, etc.) Special attention should be paid to the potential damage to property (playing baseball near residence hall windows for example).

Back to the top 


Vandalism/Damage to property in hall or in room

Each year, Housing & Dining Services spends unnecessary time and energy on repairs resulting from vandalism. These repairs are paid for by all students from room and board dollars. Residents can reduce this unnecessary expense by helping staff hold accountable those few residents or nonresidents who vandalize buildings. Any resident who has any information about acts of vandalism should contact the hall office. This includes removing or defacing community bulletin boards and signs. Residents who abuse housing facilities should expect to pay for damages and to be subject to strong disciplinary action.

Back to the top 


Visitation and Overnight Guest Policy

Can my friend from another university, college, or home come to campus?

In all residence halls, visitation is a matter of choice. Residence hall students have the inherent right to sleep and study in their own room. The right of the roommate to have a reasonable degree of privacy must be respected whenever one roommate plans to have a guest in the room. It is important for roommates to discuss the presence of all guests, and to arrive at an agreement that is acceptable to each party within the stated housing and dining services guidelines. A guest is a person who is not an assigned resident of the room. A resident’s right to sleep, to study, and to privacy takes precedence over the privilege of having guests in a residence hall room.

Residents must obtain permission from their roommate(s) prior to having a guest stay in the halls. Residents may not have more than two overnight guests at a time, and guests may not stay more than three days during any four-week period. An overnight guest is defined as someone staying from 9:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m. All guests be must 18 years of age and older and limited to two per resident. During finals weeks and the 24-hour quiet hours, there are no overnight guests allowed.

All guests should be escorted at all times. All guests should be able to produce identification at all time. When a concern is identified, staff will address

Residence hall staff members are not trained, nor do they desire to conduct room inspections to see whether or not there is compliance with this rule. They will, however, in accordance with the Entry into Student Rooms policy, confront any person identified as being in violation of rules. It is each resident’s responsibility to inform their guest of university and residence hall policies. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guest and are held accountable through the judicial process for any misconduct or rule violations of that guest. When the activities of a resident and/or guest cause an undue disturbance to the roommate(s) or to the residence hall community, other residents’ rights to privacy, to sleep, and to study in the room take precedence. Further, residents are responsible for all activities that occur in their room.

Housing & Dining Services reserves the right to require any guest to leave the residence halls immediately upon the request of any residence hall staff member.

Back to the top 



Can I bring my hunting knife to campus? How about my squirt gun?

Firearms, explosives, ammunition, and dangerous weapons or materials are not permitted within or upon the grounds, buildings, residence halls, or any other facilities of the university. Colorado law defines a dangerous weapon as an instrument designed to, or that is likely to, produce bodily harm. Weapons may include, but are not limited to, BB guns, martial arts devices, bowie knives, daggers or similar knives (blades over 3" in length), double-edged blades, or switch blades. Please see Policy 141: Weapons Control

The Residence Hall Contract states that the resident agrees not to bring any weapon or firearm, including any handgun(s) carried in accordance with the Colorado Concealed Carry Act, §18-12-201, et. seq., C.R.S., into any residence hall. With regard to any weapons other than handguns carried in accordance with the Colorado Concealed Carry Act, §18-12-201, et. seq., C.R.S. , university policies, rules and regulations prohibit weapons and firearms from being brought into any residence hall. Notwithstanding any other language in the Residence Hall Contract, the university may terminate the contract immediately for violation of this provision. Students who obtain a concealed carry permit and wish to carry a handgun in accordance with the permit must notify the executive director or designee and will be released from their Housing & Dining Services Residence Halls Contract without financial penalty.

Knives used in a kitchen (for students living in apartments only) are permitted to the extent that they are used for the express purpose of cooking instruments. If a kitchen knife is found to have been used for purposes other than cooking, it will result in a violation of the weapons policy.

A harmless item that is used to cause fear or harm to another person is included in the meaning of a firearm. Weapons used for sporting purposes may be stored with the security section of the university police. However, before bringing any weapon to campus, residents should check with the university police (303-492-6666) to determine what kinds of weapons may be stored and what the procedure is for storing them. Students who violate this policy are subject to severe disciplinary action, including expulsion from the university.

Toys designed to look like/perform like weapons or firearms are expressly prohibited in the halls. This includes Nerf® toys of any kind, and other similar toys. 

Back to the top 


Windows, Screens, Roofs, and Outside Walls

Because of the danger involved, climbing on roofs, using windows as entrances and exits, and scaling or rappelling outside walls is strictly prohibited. Persons throwing anything from windows or balconies are subject to severe disciplinary action. Placing anything on outside window ledges is also prohibited. For safety reasons, stops on windows and screens over windows are not to be removed.

Most balconies off of student rooms are locked and should not be accessed. The use or access of these balconies for any reason is prohibited. Students who reside in rooms with accessible balconies are required to sign a contract which outlines the appropriate use of the balcony area. Use of student room balconies without a signed contract is prohibited, as is the use of balconies as a point of entry into/exit from a student room is prohibited.

Back to the top 


University Code of Conduct 

What is the difference between university policy and residence hall policy?

Refer to Office of Student Conduct's Policies & Procedures.

© The Regents of the University of Colorado